Welcome to Big Dave Brockman's
Perry Mason TV Series Wiki
This is a Wiki. That means you can edit and add content. Our topic is the Perry Mason TV series of the 50s and 60s. There is a page for each episode. With your help, these pages can be filled with interesting and useful information about the shows. We'll be adding material as time permits. You're invited to contribute as well. For information on how, please see the About page. There are also many closed pages here on a variety of topics. If you would like to contribute material for these pages, please send it to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Wiki Recent Changes:
To help build a Wiki community, please enter your name or a handle in the Author box and a very brief Summary when posting.
- CommentPages.Show20 . . . October 25, 2020, at 08:56 PM by Mike Reese:
- TriviaPages.Show181 . . . October 25, 2020, at 12:15 AM by Martin Johnson as Fred Flintstone?: Adding a note about a seeming script error
- TriviaPages.Show20 . . . October 24, 2020, at 11:36 PM by Notcom: Inspiration...or not.
- CommentPages.HomePage . . . October 24, 2020, at 03:55 PM by Petko: old newspaper yellow: hover the mouse cursor over a photo to test the "sepia" filter
- Site.LocalCSS . . . October 24, 2020, at 03:52 PM by Petko: add sepia filter for pictures on "old newspaper yellow" pages (on mouse over)
- Profiles.Bermudan75 . . . October 24, 2020, at 11:46 AM by CMC: Welcome!
- TriviaPages.Show18 . . . October 24, 2020, at 11:22 AM by Bermudan 75: Background music
- CommentPages.Show19 . . . October 23, 2020, at 02:38 PM by Notcom: The Roads Not Taken
- TriviaPages.Show19 . . . October 23, 2020, at 03:09 AM by OLEF641: wardrobe comment
- Site.SideBar . . . October 22, 2020, at 02:40 PM by CMC: add'l counters
- Main.HomePage . . . October 22, 2020, at 01:53 PM by CMC: Move October 2020 news to the General Comments page
- CommentPages.Show18 . . . October 22, 2020, at 03:51 AM by OLEF641: costume details
- Main.WikiSandbox . . . October 21, 2020, at 04:54 PM by CMC: update instructions text
- CommentPages.Show46 . . . October 21, 2020, at 07:58 AM by Kenmore: Why Linda Wanted to Marry Frank
- TriviaPages.Show16 . . . October 20, 2020, at 03:44 PM by OLEF641: . . and a plot point
- CommentPages.Show16 . . . October 20, 2020, at 03:20 PM by OLEF641: Comment on ring
- Profiles.Jfh . . . October 20, 2020, at 11:30 AM by CMC: Welcome!
- CommentPages.Show113 . . . October 20, 2020, at 09:47 AM by DOD:
- CommentPages.Show45 . . . October 18, 2020, at 07:04 PM by Kenmore: Footprints and Photo
- CommentPages.Show15 . . . October 17, 2020, at 04:36 AM by OLEF641: added plot point
|If you have a question about the series . . . |
try the search box (below), and it will scan several web sites for clues.
Multiple Perry Mason site search
Search (A) this site, (B) The Perry Mason TV Show Book and (C) Bill Storrer's PMESG site. But for searching just this PMTVS site alone, you may get better results using the Wiki Search box that is found in the upper right corner or see search in the footer area, below.
"Big Dave" Brockman was a fan of the original black-and-white (and one color episode) Perry Mason TV series since the show first appeared in the fifties. There was a lapse of many years whilst Big Dave toiled in various salt mines, but, after escaping to freedom, he was able to reconnect with the show in 1985 via the TBS cable superstation. Alas, they stopped running the show in 1996. The last national airing was on The Hallmark Channel. Read about it in the Hallmark Log.
The original Perry Mason TV Series website began in the fall of 1996. You can view some early pages from the site at the Internet Archive here. How things have changed!
What else to watch. In June 2020 a reboot of the show, set in the 1930s, started on HBO.
Perry Mason on DVD . . .
Many famous people have appeared in Perry Mason episodes, some before they were famous. It's fun to try and spot these people and then check the credits to see if you were right. Using the Show Finder might be fun and helpful in doing this. This game eventually led to Big Dave's self-professed, obsessive habit of collecting cast lists from the credits for several years and we now have the casts from all 271 episodes in the database featured here. All the cast lists were taken from the trailing credits except for episode #218, The Case of the Bullied Bowler, which has only partial credits. The cast list for this episode has been recreated from other sources.
One reason the show holds up is because it's often set in the familiar territory of Southern California. It's like time travel. The very first episode, The Case of the Restless Redhead, featured a character who was living in Big Dave's home town, Riverside, California. There are no actual scenes in Riverside but there are lots of references. In one scene, Perry comments to famous movie star Helene Chaney (Gloria Henry) that Riverside is a very interesting place. The Media Page has an audio clip. This scene is missing in cut episodes of the show.
In it's heyday, Perry Mason was shown in many countries. It was quite popular in Germany but, as you might expect, was a little different. The biggest change is that everybody speaks German. Leah, a fan from Germany, explains that German actors were used to dub the voices. She says this leads to interesting situations when an actor's voice is familiar from other roles. For example, Perry Mason sounds like Bill Cosby and Fred Flintstone! Engelbert von Nordhausen is the dubber, and you can "meet" him here (site in German, use Google Translate). To add to the situation, German words tend to be longer than English ones. The lips say "Goodbye" as the voice says "Auf wiedersehen." Finally, the episodes are renamed in German. Leah has provided this list. It's fun to see how the titles changed. Google Translate is recommended.