When Edie Morrow takes the stand, she’s wearing a narrow brimmed hat. When the camera angle changes, so does her hat. The original hat reappears later in the scene only to change again shortly afterward. See all here. Submitted by daveb, date unknown.
+ Isn’t that the same hat? I think it’s elliptical, not circular. From the side it looks narrow. From front or back it looks wide. Submitted by alan_sings, 9/18/2010.
Character Names: Maigret’s first initial is , though we never learn what it stands for. The Policeman’s name is Lars (but unclear as to whether first or last). “Edie” is a nickname for Edith Morrow. The motel manager’s name is Mr. Swetson. Submitted by gracep, 12/15/2010.
Uncredited Actors: In the first scene, Bert Stevens appears as a craftsman listening to Norstaad’s announcement. In the factory he reappears twice—once behind Norstaad and once in front of Mason)—each time carrying a partially-made chair. Submitted by gracep, 12/15/2010.
+ Don Anderson plays the silent police officer in the background as the body is discovered. (He’s in the picture on this page.) Submitted by gracenote, 7/18/2011.
Sightings: That might be Distinguished Lady #1 in the courtroom gallery. The Pencil Mustache Man also peeks in, barely onscreen near the end of the hearing. Read more about these and other favorite frequent faces here. Submitted by gracep, 12/15/2010.
+ In the opening scene, Distinguished Gentleman #1 plays a workman listening with rapt attention to Norstaad. Sporting a cap, he is inconspicuous, as usual. Submitted by gracenote, 7/18/2011.
+ + And DG#1 is good old Rudy Salinger. Submitted by catyron, May 1st 2021.
Although credited, Lt. Tragg (Ray Collins) does not appear, leaving Lt. Anderson to do all the work. Submitted by gracep, 12/16/2010
When Perry meets a fellow attorney for a “meeting of the bar” at a restaurant, the latter is partCurious Coffee Set. He offers Perry and Della some coffee with the set, too, but only Della indulges. A lady in the background may also be using it. Submitted by gracenote, 7/18/2011.
Goof: On the stand, Osa Massen (as Lisa Pederson) accidentally refers to Norstaad’s Danish trademark as German. Submitted by gracenote, 7/18/2011.
Location: About 16 minutes in Axel's Danish Furniture factory is at 17001 Ventura Blvd in Encino CA 91316. If you Google map it you can see an excellent view. Della and Perry exit their car parked next to Encino Park and Della walks into 17001 Ventura Blvd. for some pastries while Perry continues on to Axel's at 17003 Ventura Blvd. which you can faintly see to the right of his head on a good DVD copy. On one shot you can also see Monty's steakhouse across the street. That was a Valley landmark until it burned down in 1988. Submitted by Eric Cooper 22 Dec 11.
CARS. (1) Perry's all-white 1961 Lincoln Continental Convertible, top up.
- (2) 1962 Ford Galaxie Mainliner 4-Door Sedan POLICE B&W, with Lt Anderson's driver at smorgasbord restaurant & Norstaad's apartment/workshop. See Ep#137 Car (2).
- (3) Axel Norstaad's medium-color 1962 Ford Galaxie 4-Door Sedan (fleet-sales version shown; exterior is identical to Axel's car), 6-cylinder engine (no V8 badge). Axel drives it to Millie's Barbeque drive-in.
- (4) Edie Morrow waits at Millie's Barbeque in his light-color 1962 Buick Electra 225 Convertible Lic No WWF 001, top up. This is the first 1962 Buick (& 1st GM) car in the series.
- (5) 1961 Ford Fairlane 4-Door Sedan Police B&W, Lic No E 014, Lt Anderson & driver arrive at Millie's BBQ.
Background Cars. When stopped at Encino Park, Della & Perry look toward the smorgasbord restaurant on the corner and see the police car (2) plus:
- (a) 1953 Ford Customline 4-Door Sedan, light color, parked in front of police car (2),
- (b) MG TD, top down, medium color, parked across the street beyond the police car's trunk. MG TD produced 1950-53.
- (c) 1958 Mercury Turnpike Cruiser, 2-Door HardTop, 2-tone light/medium, driving Right-to-Left along Ventura Blvd (2nd T/P Cruiser in PM: Burger's car in Ep#5 was 1st).
- (d) 1957 Plymouth Plaza 4-Door Sedan, dark color, following the Turnpike Cruiser.
When Della & Perry get out of Perry's Lincoln and cross the street we see:
- (e) another medium-colored MG TD with light-colored tonneau cover, parked in front of Perry's Lincoln. Could be same car as (b), re-located for the different camera angle.
- (f) white/black 1956 Ford Fairlane Sunliner w/black top up, parked in front of the MG.
- (g) 1957 Ford Fairlane 2-Door Sedan medium/light color, parked in front of Car (2).
Car (3) was a fitting choice for Axel's thrifty, no-nonsense character; factory price of this baseline 4-door '62 Galaxie was $2507. The equivalent '62 Chevy Biscayne 4-door Sedan was $2378 while Edie's Buick convertible was $4366 before options. Maybe Ford felt that it had the $129 price differential with Chevy covered by its '62-Model-Year-intro of a new line of "Intermediate-Sized" cars called the Fairlane! 1962 Fairlane sedan/coupes ranged from $2154 to $2607. Added by Gary Woloski, 3/6/13.
This is the only PM writing credit for Oliver Crawford, who had been blacklisted for refusing to name suspected communists to the HUAC...MikeM. 10/14/2016
This is the first of four PM appearances for Lisa Davis, who appeared in a film in her native England when she was thirteen...MikeM. 1/20/2017
This was Osa Massen's final appearance on screen, after a 27-year career. Submitted by vgy7ujm on 18 June 2020
This is the third of four PM appearances for prolific television actor Dennis Patrick, who was born Dennis Patrick Harrison. Dennis Patrick was killed in a house fire in Hollywood in 2002, aged 84...MikeM. 10/20/2017
This is the third of four PM appearances for the wonderful Marie Windsor (Linda Griffith in TCOT Daring Decoy ep 28 3/29/58, Flavia Pierce in TCOT Madcap Modiste ep 91 4/30/60, Edie Morrow here, and Mrs. Helen Reed in TCOT Wednesday Woman ep 194 1/2/64). Ms. Windsor died one day before her 81st birthday on 10Dec2000. jfh 01Nov2018